Silicone adhesives and conformal coatings are known for forming robust bonds which exhibit high levels of flexibility, as well as excellent chemical and heat resistance. Whilst these characteristics are a huge advantage in bonding applications, they can make the process of removing silicones from surfaces or equipment a difficult task.
We’ve highlighted 5 key adhesive cleaners from our extensive portfolio which excel at the removal of both cured and uncured silicone.
Dowsil OS-2 Silicone cleaner and surface prep solvent was developed specifically to be used as a cleaning agent and carrier. It is effective at removing uncured silicone sealants, oils and greases and can be used to soften many cured silicones. It can also be used as a way of diluting and tailoring the viscosity of silicones to suit the user’s application requirements.
- Safe on plastics and is non-corrosive to metals
- Evaporates completely at room temperature
- Can be used to prep surfaces prior to sealant or lubricant applications
- Low toxicity
Uncured silicone fluids and residues which are left behind during production can be easily removed with the use of Dowsil DS-1000 Aqueous Silicone Cleaner. The specialised cleaning solvent has been developed to emulsify silicone oils, greases and uncured silicone elastomers.
- Effective at degreasing in a wide range of manufacturing or processing applications
- EU Detergent Regulation Compliant
- Aqueous solution for ease of use
Cured silicone is traditionally tougher to remove from surfaces as it is highly resistant to changes in temperature, as well as exhibiting unique elastomeric properties. Dowsil DS-2025 Silicone Cleaning Solvent is a highly effective method of removing silicone as it rapidly depolymerises and dissolves cured silicone, allowing it to be simply wiped away with water.
- Can be collected, stored and re-used up to ten times making it a cost-effective purchase
- Low viscosity
- Does not contain aromatic or halogenated solvents
- Compatible with most construction materials
Silicone coatings can be challenging to remove due to their durable composition and chemical resistance properties. However, Microcare’s Ultra Clean VOC-Free Flux Remover can quickly and easily remove silicone conformal coatings as it is based on innovative siloxane technology. This means that the chemical composition is very similar to that of most silicone conformal coatings, allowing for easy and effective removal.
- Fast drying formulation
- Completely halogen-free
- Strongest non-chlorinated PCB cleaner on the market
- Highly effective on no-clean fluxes and pastes
- Can also remove acrylic conformal coatings, as well as oil, grease, roisin-based fluxes and paste
Another key product from the Microcare range is the Microcare MCC-DC16 No-Clean Flux Remover. The moderately-aggressive cleaning fluid excels at dissolving and removing silicone conformal coatings, oils and silicone adhesives quickly and easily. It is even effective on fully cured-conformal coatings and swell silicone tubing.
- Fast drying
- Low Odour
- Safe for use on plastics
- No residue/rinsing required
- Excellent at cleaning no clean fluxes and pastes
Want to know more about effective surface preparation? Check out our “Ultimate Guide to Surface Preparation.“ blog post to read our in-depth guide.
If you have any other queries regarding adhesive cleaners or selecting the correct product for your application, please don’t hesitate to ask our Ellsworth Glue Doctor who can answer all your technical questions. Simply fill out our enquiry form here.